Congratulations to the CMFL A-Side Champions for the "5th time in a row" the Hillary Blues!
Congratulations to the CMFL B-Side Champions the Old Sox!
Congrats to Trevor Ellchuk on winning the 2022 CMFL Good Sportsmanship Award
The 50/50 pot of $505 was won and claimed by Shaye Kemball! Congrats!
Huge thanks to everyone that helped this weekend! We couldn't have done it without you! I probably will miss a few I apologize!
"Karen & Trevor, Angelique, Lance, Grant, Steph, Nate, Scott, Denver, Dave and ..... and everyone else!"
A MASSIVE thank-you to Roscoe once again for working his butt off all season on the diamonds (everyone commented that they were in fabuous shape each game!) As well as all the countless hours organizing the 2022 season. But the work he put into running the Sept. Long Weekend Tournament basically single handedly AND then feeding everyone is mind boggling! It is so very appreciated by each team and we wouldn't have a league without all his dedication and hard work!
This saddens me to have to announce this, but former Old Sox #8 Roy Cuddeford has passed away.
Roy was the nicest man you'll ever meet and probably the hardest most loyal worker too.
Roy didn't play since Covid started and we missed his great sportmanship, friendship and humor.
I will post any funeral information when released.
Sleep well our friend, we miss you already.
All games now begin at 6:00pm starting August 16th! Please remind everyone!
July 21st game Mudcats vs Hillary has been rescheduled for Aug. 29
August 11th game Royals vs Hillary has been reschedled for Aug 30
Both games have been moved on the schedule!
All players please take a moment to sign up for our new insurance through Softball Manitoba.
Here is the 2022 CMFL schedule!
It's now available under "schedule"!
-2022 Game Sheets available under "Handouts"
-2022 Waiver forms must be signed by all players this year!
2021 CMFL schedule has been posted!
It is also available under "Handouts" to be printed.
Yes it's different. Yes it's at Blumberg. Yes they are double headers.
Nothing is the same during Covid- lets make the best of it!
Please print off your 2021 game sheets AND "type the players names" into it.
Send a clear screen shot in after the games to get the scores in!
Hand in your game sheets promptly!
There have been some changes/updates to the logos placed on legal fastpitch bats for 2021! Please take note:
Hello CMFL! Danny needs some prayers and warm thoughts sent his way! Monday morning at 9am he is having his foot amputated due to his diabetes. Please let everyone know that may know him. As one of our retired umpires he has been a fixture in the CMFL for many years. He deserves our love and friendship at this stressful time. I will keep you updated! Thank you!!
Congratulations to the Hillary Blues on winning the A-side Championship for the 3rd consecutive year! Congratulations to the Mudcats on winning the B-side Championship! Congrats to all the teams for making the *2020 Covid season one to remember! Stay healthy & safe! (missing Canadians & Mudcats)
A huge thank- you to our President, Roscoe, for all the hard work he put into getting this 2020 Covid19 season up and running! Who would have thought we’d have a fastball season this year? From permits to schedules to diamonds to meetings to fences to feeding the masses after all is done! It is all greatly appreciated by all teams! “Job well done”....
Interesting obituary in the paper today, perhaps somebody remembers "Kaz Holod"? Goes to show you that many years later, winning the CMFL Championship was still important enough to put into his own obituary!
"In 1975, I became a member of Westwood Royals fastball team in the Crestview men's league. In 1977, the Westwood Royals won the league championship. We were known as the Cinderella team. It is the only Westwood team to win the championship."
2020 printable CMFL schedule is now posted!
Game Sheets now under "Handouts" Please type in your players names before printing!
Player Waiver forms available under "Handouts"-please get signed by any NEW players that did not sign in 2019.
CMFL Covid-19 Protocols for the 2020 season
- All participants, and those who may accompany them, are to be vigilant about their health.
- If you are feeling cold or flu-like symptoms, please do not attend a ball game, and get tested if possible.
- Remain away from the ball fields until such time as your condition has been resolved
- All players must practice social distancing at all times while not actively engaged in a play on the field.
- All others attending a game are to maintain social distance from the participants, as well as the other attendees.
- The exception to this is in the case of common household contacts.
- Catchers are not required to distance from batters but may choose to do so.
- Umpires may have the discretion to position where they feel comfortable (i.e. behind the pitcher, behind the catcher, and with the amount of distance they are comfortable with)
- Masks are not mandatory, but can be used at any player's or umpire's discretion
- All players must sanitize hands before a game, and at any other point they feel is necessary. Each team is responsible for their own sanitizer.
- Common equipment, such as bats and helmets must be sanitized before each game and each use.
- The fielding team will be responsible to provide and to replace all the balls needed during their half inning. They are also responsible to sanitize the balls before each half inning
- The fielding team will retrieve any foul balls hit during their half inning
- Any matters that arise during play will be decided between the umpire and the team managers. There should be no confrontations between players, or players with umpires.
- All players must bring their own water bottles.
- Sunflower seeds are not allowed.
- All teams are responsible to manage the number of attendees at each diamond. The league is being enforced at 100 persons for the entire site, so 33 people total, extra attendees included, is the limit for each diamond.
- Extra attendees will be allowed on a first come first served basis, and must be self regulated by the teams
Our deepest sympathies to the Dale family on the passing of Kevin aka "Chachi".
Chachi was a former Old Sox and will be missed by many.
Our deepest condolences to the Howarth and Armstrong families on the passing of your Dad, Grandfather, and father-in-law Brian Howarth. Brian was a big supporter of the CMFL and was always seen at games and tournaments carrying his chair from game to game. He will be missed. Hugs to all. 💕
Congratulations to the 2019 A-Side Champions Hillary Blues! As well congratulations to the 2019 B-Side Champions the Cavaliers! After a slightly wet Labor Day Long Weekend a playoff was managed! Thank-you to everyone who worked their butts off this weekend to get diamonds playable - you know who you are! (Scott & Roscoe and gang) Thanks to everyone for your patience as Mother Nature can be difficult.....
Always an exciting moment when a father and son can finally play together in the CMFL! Iceman can’t retire now that his son Braydon has joined the team! Congrats Randy!
If anyone from the former Winnipeg Men's League is looking for a team to play on- let us know!
RIP Errol Klinck
Congratulations to Keith Mikkelson from The Westwood Royals on winning the 2018 CMFL Sportmanship Award! As well Congratulations to Kelly Hrushka from the Old Sox on winning the 2018 Rick Archibald Award! A huge thanks to the Hillary Blues for hosting the Final Wind-up! Great job everyone!
2018 signing off......... 😎
Great 1972 article! Now that's how you put on a tournament!
So much history in this leage after "almost" 55 years!
Congratulations to the 2018 CMFL A-Side Champions: The Hillary Blues!
Congratulations to the 2018 CMFL B-Side Champions: Westwood Royals!
Great story about a future CMFL player! Way to go Cole Armstrong!
🚭 There will be NO SMOKING (any type) in beer garden, playground areas, diamonds and dugouts and spectator areas. The permit holder is subject to a $400 fine per offense under the revised City of Winnipeg Outdoor Smoking By-law and individuals will be fined $200 per offense. 🚭
For those of you that missed out there are some leftovers for sale! New colours and cool sleeveless shirts for both Men and Woman! Shirts are Pro Team, Moisture Wicking, Tagless, 100% Polyester breathable shirt. Contact Corina for colors and sizes left! All shirts are $25.00 each and serves as a CMFL fundraiser.
Congratulations to the Canadians! 2017 CMFL A-Side Champions!
Congratulations to the Hawks! 2017 CMFL B-Side Champions!
(picture to follow....)
And so ends the 53rd CMFL season........
The 2017 Labor Day Weekend schedule has been posted under "Handouts"
All players and coaches please take note:
- All Players and Coaches must wear ball pants.
- Home team throughout the playoffs will be based on the final standings.
- Home team will have the choice of batting first or second.
- There is a maximum of 2 courtesy runners. These players must be declared to the opposing coach before the start of the game. A player that is injured during the game can have a courtesy runner.
- Teams are to announce player changes to the umpire and opposing team as soon as they occur.
- There are no time limits to the games.
- A team can quit after 5 innings of play if they wish. Regardless of the score, they will be charged the maximum of minus 7 for the plus/minus calculation.
- A 2 umpire system will be utilized for all games except for the 2 A-side semi finals and the A-side final where a 3 man system will be used.
- Pitchers are not allowed to “step out of the chute” or “replant” to deliver the ball. Umpires will call this as an illegal pitch.
- The Home team will supply and set up the bases for the Friday night games. It was mistakenly said the visitor team at the meeting. Can we have 2 sets of bases to be used for the rest of the weekend?
- Blake Harris will bring balls to the games at Varsity View for the Friday night games.
- Teams that play back-to-back games will not have to move dugouts.
- Teams are to ensure that all their bats to be used on the weekend are legal. They must have ASA 2000, ASA 2004, or ISF2005 stamp.
Blue looks good in black & white!
Congratulations to Randy Dutiaume on his induction
into the Manitoba Softball Hall of Fame!!
No changes in Bats! Same bats as last year are allowed for the 2017 season.
-HELMET RULE UPDATED: Helmets with 2 ear-flaps and padding inside is required for all Batters, On-deck batters, Runners & Catchers.
Congrats to the 2016 "A-Side" Champions - The Mudcats!
Congrats to the 2016 "B-Side" Champions- The Saints
Congrats to the 2016 "C-Side" Champions- The Sharks!
CMFL RULE CHANGES (2015):
- Metal Cleats are allowed this year, please observe and respect the safety of others if you choose to wear them.
- Bats with the approved stamps: ISF2005, ASA2000, and ASA 2004. All bats must still be 100mph or lower. Bats on the previous banned list are still deemed illegal.
-There is a maximum 7 import players per team.
- Any import player playing 4 consecutive years in the CMFL will have the "import" designation lifted.
- Any new players must all read and sign our
"New Player Information Package". Failure to do so will result in these players being ineligible for all league and tournament play.
- Gorilla Grip is allowed.
CTV News coverage of CMFL 50th Anniversary Opening Ceremonies on August 9th, 2014
Great article on the CMFL's 50th Anniversary in The Metro- online edition (July 31st) !!!
The league was formed in the summer of 1964 when some friends living on one bay in Crestview challenged friends from another bay to an afternoon recreational ball game. Little did anyone realize that this was the beginning of a community men’s fast ball league that would span 50 years to become one of the longest standing men’s fastball league in North America.
Originally families and friends played with no real rules or uniforms, just folks having fun. As time went on and word of the games got out the league began to develop into the Crestview Men’s Fastball League; allowing teams to recruit player only from their respective streets or bays. Now a-days the league boundaries are a little wider but stay true to the neighbourhood with the majority of the approximately 180 members in the league living in the Crestview, St. James and Charleswood area. The league has progressed to a ten team competitive men’s fastball league comprised of fathers playing with sons and brothers playing against brothers.
The community spirit of the original teams continues with many team names still identifying the original bay or street they were founded around, such as the Hilary Blues, Voyager Hawks, Westwood Royals and the Cavaliers. There is one player in the league who played in the original year at the age of 19 and is still playing in the league this year. We bet he has some great stories to tell!